Monitoring and Evaluation Services
Monitoring and evaluation are important tools to help us understand how policies, projects or services are being implemented and to measure how effective and impactful they are. The results can be used for a number of purposes such as:
- To satisfy the requirements of a funder – i.e. to show how their money has used and what it has achieved
- To help demonstrate impact – i.e. to boost your profile and potentially secure further funding
- To understand what is working well (or not) – i.e. to inform continuous improvement
- To give participants or service users a voice – i.e. engage beneficiaries in shaping delivery
- To contribute to the evidence base of ‘what works’ – i.e. to share the learning and support the commissioning of future interventions
A good monitoring framework will enable relevant data and information to be captured on a continuous basis. It will also provide the foundations for systematic evaluation in order to demonstrate whether the intervention has worked (and how).
Southern Horizons (UK) Ltd has a strong track record in delivering robust monitoring and evaluation services which are helping organisations to make informed decisions and providing evidence for future delivery.
Featured Case Studies:
Monitoring and Evaluation Support for the Business Innovation and Knowledge Exchange Project
Client: The Cornwall College Group
Business Innovation and Knowledge Exchange (BIKE) describes the activities of The Cornwall College Group through the South West Innovation Accelerator Project which was funded with ERDF investment through the Convergence Programme for Cornwall & Isles of Scilly. In conjunction with Buckman Associates Ltd, we supported the BIKE team in the first instance to develop data capture protocols and templates to gather impact data and then rolled those out with local businesses to understand both the economic benefits and softer outcomes for those involved.
Evaluation of the Business Investment for Growth Project
Client: Cornwall Development Company
Working with Buckman Associates Ltd, we completed a three year evaluation of the ERDF funded Business Investment for Growth (BIG) project which aimed to accelerate the growth of businesses, in particular high growth businesses, in Cornwall. This study commenced with the development of a monitoring and evaluation framework and the establishment of a baseline position. The mid-term evaluation supported continuous improvement and the final evaluation considered the project’s legacy and identified lessons that could be learned for future business support activities.
Evaluation of the National HEFCE/UnLtd Social Enterprise Support Programme
Client: The Higher Education Funding Council for England
In conjunction with colleagues from Plymouth and Northampton universities, we worked on a nine month evaluation of the HEFCE funded UnLtd social enterprise support programme, delivered for staff and students in 56 English universities. Methods included desk based and survey work as well as interviews, focus groups and observations at case study institutions.
Other Services Offered
- The Cornwall College Group
- Cornwall Development Company
- The Higher Education Funding Council for England
- Birmingham City University
- Dartmoor and Exmoor National Parks
- Devon County Council
- Cornwall and Isles of Scilly Local Enterprise Partnership
- St Endellion Parish Council
- South Hams District Council
- Devon County Council
- Plymouth Community Homes
- Cornwall 365
Name of company
Southern Horizons (UK) Ltd
c/o Ensign House, Parkway Court, Longbridge Road, Plymouth PL6 8LR
Company no. 08098961
VAT no. GB 136 9958 59